Are you afraid of putting yourself out there?
Let me share my dream with you. I’m going to make myself accountable here! You are welcome to check in with me from time to time and ask me about my progress towards my goal!
Well, my dream has been with me since I can remember. I’ve always wanted to write a book. Throughout the years I did a few attempts, but they fell flat, because I wasn’t ready to share, the words weren’t there. I always knew inside of me that one day I was meant to write a great book and now that I feel that the time has come, I wonder why I don’t do it. I’ve been talking about writing this book for at least 14 months, and so far, there are only 40 pages written.
I started to dig inside of me and ask myself the question that I ask to my coaching clients:
“What is stopping you from taking action towards your dream?”
First I thought it may be laziness. How in the world am I going to sit and type 300 pages? Then I realized that one thing that I am not, is lazy! If I know a hard worker, it’s me, so that couldn’t be a real blockage.
I kept digging and I found something that rung true to me:
I was afraid of putting myself out there fully.
Does writing my book mean that I have to share about my past?
Who’s gonna read it? Everybody? Somebody? Nobody?
Fears of rejection, failure, prejudice started to show up in my consciousness.
When you read my blog and hear me talk, you might get the sense that I am a happy, cheerful girl.
I am. What you don’t know is that it wasn’t always like that. And it still isn’t always like that.
God, my life was dark. Very dark. I grew up feeling lonely and unworthy of love. Since I remember until I was around twenty one years old, I lived in a constant state of survival mode. There was violence around me and I carried violence in me. It was a very different scenario than what I created for myself today. I am proud of how I’ve transformed my life, because it took a hell lot of inner work.
Now that I’m ready to give my next step in writing my book, the true blockages show up.
My mind tells me: “How are you going to write about spirituality when you are not a saint!?” I know that, I am far from being perfect…
It also tells me: “You’ve carried so much sadness and anger all your life, who in the world are you to talk about living an abundant life?”
And just in case I forget: “You have those days where you wake up cranky and go to bed cranky!” Guilty of that one too, specially during those crazy days of the month, if you know what I mean!
Facing our demons is the hardest thing we may have to do.
We are our biggest judges and we can be our biggest enemy.
So now that it is my time to transform my life lessons into sharing with others, fear kicks in full force.
I gotta be honest, I am tempted to not do this. But then again….I know I can’t not do it. I am feeling the same feeling that I had years ago when I decided to dedicate myself to big wave surfing: the desire was so rooted in my heart that I just had to do it!
Now the book is pressing in my heart. It wants to come out, it wants to be it’s own entity. I have no other way than to start doing it.
I always say:
“If a desire is placed in our hearts is because God lit the flame”.
I gave my first steps towards making my dream come true. This is the process that I did and that you can do if you are feeling that you are not taking action towards your goals:
- Ask yourself why you want to do your dream: For me, it is about sharing my message with others. But here’s the key: true service starts with us first, when we serve our souls first and foremost. Then, the overflow is what helps others. In my case, by sharing with others I find great happiness and joy, it makes my life bright. I share with others because it makes ME happy. I don’t do it for them. I do it for me. That makes the whole difference in the world, because I honor myself, and out of that honoring, I honor others as well.
- Make yourself accountable with others: This one is a big one! I actually wrote on my Public Facebook Page that I am going to write this book. I asked for advice and encouragement of any kind, to learn from others that had done this before. Lot’s of people responded to my post and I can feel their honest enthusiasm towards seeing me succeed in my goal. I am now looking forward to sharing my journey through my social media. My accomplishments will be the ones of my followers as well, as we will all be a part of the journey together. See how you can share your dream with others: It could be with your best friend, a coach, a loving and accepting relative, or a group of supporting people as I did. Just make sure that you do it in a space that supports you.
- Ask yourself what are the biggest fears that are blocking you from your dream: This is the big one! As I mentioned before, my fears are about not being accepted, being judged by others, not being read at all!
The more I dig, the more fears I find! I even discovered that one of my big fears is that if I become a bestseller author, my life might change so much that I might not be ready for that kind of success! So, I basically go from a fear of not being read at all, to a fear of a mega success! The mind is a funny entity, isn’t it?
The key here is to not judge any of the responses that we may find in us. We look at all of those fears and we accept them as they are. We let them be who they are, we don’t try to change them or destroy them. The best part comes next, keep reading!
- Love those fears to death: This is what we do with all those beliefs that show up and stop us from our dreams: we loooooooooove them! Does that sound crazy? Oh well, it may, but it absolutely works!
What do I mean when I say that we love them to death? We honor them, we look at them, we accept them and we invite the Loving energy of the Universe to surround those fears and fill them with love. We may want to do it as a visualization through meditation, where we see inside the light of love showering the darkness in us. When we allow the light of love to shine on our darkness, guess what happens? The darkness is no more. If meditation is hard for you, then try journaling this:
“ I accept that I am afraid of being judged by others”
Then love it:
” I love my fear of being judged by others”.
This one is key, even if your mind says NOOOOO! just keep trying it, repeat it inside until it clicks in you. Love always win!
Now FOR-GIVE -IT and fill the void with a new positive assuring affirmation or statement:
” I now GIVE UP (forgive) my fear and I welcome into my life the knowing that I love and accept myself as I am”
- Let go of the result and just do it!: Take action, action, loving action! This is not about becoming rigid and pushy and get ourselves into a demanding energy to get things done. This is about finding the joy and enthusiasm on each little step of the way and letting that divine energy move in you towards your dream. In my case, it was to take simple steps, such as making myself accountable, asking myself questions, loving the answers that arose, and even scheduling an appointment with a writing coach! It’s about combining the inner work with the outer action!
We do it all in love, with love, with self care and tenderness. We allow abundance in our process, through the good times and through the tough times. We then release the result of the big vision. We share our creation with our Higher Power. We take action and we let go of the result-each step of the way!
I am excited to invite you to be a part of my journey. I will share with you as I learn, as I take action and as I hit bumps along the road. I am also very curious about your progress towards your goals.
I’d love to hear from you now!
I’d like to hear:
What is your biggest dream right now?
What is the biggest blockage that is stopping you from moving forward?
And most importantly:
I want you to take action and let me know:
What is one thing that you learned today in this post that you will apply or have already applied into your life?
Please let me know of the results that you get: Did you find more freedom? Did you feel more enthusiastic to take action? Anything that helped you make a shift, I would really like to hear.
Powered by Facebook Comments